A Declaration of Independents by Greg Orman is a must read for anyone with who is disgusted with the paralysis that is affecting our national government. It lays out in clear language that the 2 party system thwarts actual governance so the will of the people isn’t possible. Mr. Orman’s struggle to gain traction as a candidate, highlights everything that is wrong with our current system. One of his idea term limits is something that should have happened along time ago.
After reading A Declaration of Independents it makes it abundantly clear to me that the following needs to happen to make our government work for the people:
- We need open primaries. I shouldn’t pay for sham elections that I can’t participate in.
- All political ads should be Public Service Announcements. So no hit jobs on your opponent, just you explaining why you are running and where to get your policy proposals. The TV networks will balk as they stand to loose a lot of money because PSA are free, but I don’t care.
- Real debates, not run by the political parties. And more of them especially town halls where the voters can ask the candidates the real questions.
- No more Political PACs of any kind. Everyone is limited to contribute up to 300 dollars per candidate per election cycle.
- Easy ballot access if you plan to run as a candidate. The same ballot access for All 50 states. You shouldn’t have go through hoops if you are running a National Campaign.
- Term limits
- All former politicians must wait at least 7 years after leaving office to lobby their fellow politicians.
Maureen Albanese is an administrative assistant and activist. She lives in Manhattan.
POLITICS for the PEOPLE
CONFERENCE CALL with GREG ORMAN, Author of
A Declaration of Independents
How We Can Break the Two-Party Stranglehold and Restore the American Dream